Tuesday, March 17, 2009

'Pipes

Andrew Sullivan marks St. Patrick's Day with not one but two Simpsons clips, God bless him.

I'm all for the day, given that the largest identifiable part of my mutt self is Irish. But I laughed when a friend (and former coworker) wrote to me today. I used to (and she still does) work in a building right off of Fifth Avenue in midtown. The entirety of her e-mail to me this morning, during the parade:
OMG I am going to kill the effing bagpipers!!
Yes. Uninterrupted hours of bagpipes is a special kind of torture.

3 Comments:

Blogger Snath said...

Really? I could listen to bagpipes all day.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara Carlson said...

I read somewhere they were used in ancient battles
-- their sound was an anesthetic for the wounded.

Also, I have heard 600 bagpipes play in unison. Absolutely thrilling!! but not as loud as you'd think. It's that first wheezy squeal sound that gets me -- my skin wants to leave my body.
I have also stood in the center of a circle of 10 of them. The effect is zen. I understand their use in battle.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not ashamed to claim that "OMG."

Only yesterday did the murderous urge subside. Just sayin'.

Snath: you MUST be Irish or Scottish? It's a genetic thing, the affinity with the wheezing bag.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home