Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Thoughts on the Derby

I'll get to the tragic news in a second.

First, Big Brown looked terrific winning the Kentucky Derby, and since, by consensus, it's a weak year for three-year-olds, 2008 might finally mark the end of the Triple Crown drought.

I discovered how cold a comfort loyalty can be: I bet Monba, simply because I had bet him in the Blue Grass Stakes, which he won. In the Derby, he finished 20th (that would be last) by 59 lengths.

Of course, the biggest news out of the race was that Eight Belles, the only filly running that day (she finished second), broke both her ankles after crossing the finish line and had to be euthanized. This has, understandably, reignited debate about the safety measures taken in horse racing. I thought Megan McArdle had a pretty balanced take on the issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home