Thursday, April 10, 2008

Forget steroids. How about LSD?

My friend JF, who accompanied me on two cross-part-of-the-country baseball trips, sent along a piece about Dock Ellis, a pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1970's. This is not breaking news -- in fact, the initial revelation dates to 1984 -- but it turns out that a no-hitter Ellis threw in 1970 was accomplished while he was high on LSD. Said Ellis:
The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me.
He walked eight batters (a hilarious, if unsurprising, statistic), but didn't give up a hit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home