Saturday, August 04, 2007

A Link, A Complaint, A Poll

1. A link: Slate's "Explainer" column can be interesting, but it's rarely as practical as this one. It's not always easy to read ("Try not to panic. Easier said than done, of course—the impact of the water or an airbag probably will stun you."), but probably worth a look...

2. A complaint: There are not nearly enough clips of Professor Frink on YouTube. Can someone get on that, please?

3. A poll: Without giving away my own opinion -- though it's probably easy enough to find in previous posts -- I'd like to know what everyone thinks of Achtung Baby by U2. How does it hold up after all the years? How would you rate it? Thanks to anyone who participates...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a long-running argument with a friend on this. I think it's a good album, and holds up well. The key to liking it is to think of it as a completely different band than the guys who put out Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree. Otherwise, you're going to hold it to an impossible standard, that's going to lead to disappointment.

My friend thinks it's actually U2's best album, and depending on when you ask him, he rates it as either his favorite or 2nd favorite album of all time (his other top album is The Cure's Disintegration).

--Comish

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

several years ago, when i participated in a 50 Best Albums of All Time project with some folks you might know, i believe this album was in the top 10 somewhere. or damn near, anyway. however, perhaps tellingly, i haven't listened to it in a helluva long time. i'll dust it off tomorrow and let you know how it's fared... for me, anyway.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Mrs. White said...

I adored Achtung Baby for a solid two years in my youth, and then promptly lost all interest in U2 for some reason. Ultimately, Joshua Tree is my favorite, but I still contend that A.B. is excellent, and still holds up reasonably well.

I'm curious why you're curious about this. :)

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should ask.... I helped a friend move to Chicago recently, and Achtung Baby was part of the soundtrack on the roadtrip, and I was really happy to hear it again. When the album came out, The Edge (Mr. Edge? just Edge?) describes it as the sound of four guys tearing The Joshua Tree to shreds. I appreciate it as a much-needed attempt to hack to bits the dewy-eyed, lighter-lofting "With Or Without You" aspect of U2's personality, and I like its rawness, but of course the shock value is gone. Still, I think it holds its own and is a pretty sincere effort to come up with something original and different.
Yeah, why do you ask?

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home