Wednesday, August 29, 2007

An Innocent Man

Richard Jewell, who was wrongly accused of planting a bomb at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta has died at the age of 44, presumably due to complications from kidney problems. As the wire report notes:
Jewell was initially hailed as a hero for spotting a suspicious backpack in a park and moving people out of harm's way just before a bomb exploded during a concert at the Atlanta Summer Olympics. ... Three days after the bombing, an unattributed report in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution described him as "the focus" of the investigation.
It's hard not to find this quote incredibly sad:
"For that (first) two days, my mother had a great deal of pride in me -- that I had done something good and that she was my mother, and that was taken away from her," Jewell said around the time of the 10th anniversary of the bombing. "She'll never get that back, and there's no way I can give that back to her."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home