Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Parsing a Thumping

More on the political headlines soon, but for now, I actually got a kick out of this excerpt from President Bush's press conference about the election and Rumsfeld's resignation. I think it shows that the guy would be charming in certain walks of life -- of course, Most Powerful Man on Earth still decidedly not one of those walks.
BUSH: Look, this is a close election. If you look at race by race, it was close. The cumulative effect, however, was not too close. It was a thumping.

But nevertheless, the people expect us to work together. That's what they expect. And as I said in my opening comments, you know, there comes responsibility with victory.

And that's what Nancy Pelosi told me this morning. She said in the phone call she wants to work together. And so do I. And so, that's how you deal with it.

QUESTION: You just described the election results as a thumping...

BUSH: I said the cumulative -- make sure. Who do you write for?

QUESTION: The New York Times, Mr. President.

(LAUGHTER)

BUSH: Oh, yes...

(LAUGHTER)

Let's make sure we get the facts. I said that the elections were close -- the cumulative effect...

QUESTION: Yes, is a thumping.

BUSH: Thumping.

(LAUGHTER)

QUESTION: But the results have been...

BUSH: It's a polite way of saying, you know -- anyway, go ahead.

(LAUGHTER)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home