Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What's Scary and What's Not

MAW over at somewhere i have never travelled is not happy about the fact that Rob Zombie is going to remake Halloween (I don't blame her), and she channels her rage into a comparison of John Carpenter's technique in the original with the indignities she imagines Zombie will unleash from the director's chair:
Seeing the world through the eyes of a psychopath for the first half of a film is scary. Listening to simple, repetitive piano notes echoed over and over and over again is scary. A nondescript, white Halloween mask hiding a mysterious and never-seen face IS SCARY. Watching someone get disemboweled by a unrealistically grotesque-looking monster while heavy metal music plays in the background and strobe lights flash IS NOT. Rob Zombie remaking Halloween would be like Paris Hilton singing a cover of "Ave Maria" or drunken hobos fingerpainting The Mona Lisa. It's a travesty and it makes me very, very angry! Gaa!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

A "necessary" remake? That seems like a high standard, what with the state of the world right now. I can't remember a remake I enjoyed watching, much less one that was "necessary." Let me think about it and get back to you... Anyone else have any choices?

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is frightening is that they are remaking films from the 80s now - Working Girl, Pet Sematary, etc are all in the works. A bad sign of things to come.

I liked the Hills Have Eyes remake but I cannot say that it was necessary. Typically they end up going a PG-13 route and ruining the entire film (a la The Fog)

The best remake ever was Cronenberg's The Fly followed closely by John Carpenter's The Thing - some worthy additions I feel would be Ocean's Eleven, the Italian Job, Cape Fear, and the recent Dawn of the Dead. Outside of that they all suck.

9:40 AM  
Blogger JMW said...

I liked the new Dawn of the Dead, too (especially the opening scenes), but I'm not sure I ever saw the original. Ocean's Eleven -- I didn't LOVE that movie (enjoyed it), but I heard the original was terrible. So, good call.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home