Thursday, July 13, 2006

Love is a Temple. Love's a Higher Law.

I promise not to get too YouTube-y on you, but I like that I've learned how to post videos straight to the blog (it only took me about six months longer than it would have taken a developmentally disabled baboon).

So here for your viewing pleasure, from 1993, is two members of REM and two members of U2 singing the latter's big hit, "One," at an MTV party celebrating Bill Clinton's first inauguration. I know: We're old.

Despite the less-than-perfect audio (a common YouTube problem), Stipe sings the hell out of it, in my biased opinion, particularly that minutelong stretch or so that starts with "Have you come here for forgiveness?," a real classic of a stretch. Mike Mills, who I love, doesn't exactly knock his backup-vocal duties for a loop, but he makes up for it by looking as much like Velma from Scooby Doo as he ever has. Added bonus is the muted moment of intro by Dennis Miller, a long-haired liberal at the time. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

Thanks for video! I've had the MP3 file forever but never saw the video.

Please, please, R.E.M., give me new album that I want to listen to!

4:55 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

I've had the audio on a bootleg for years, too (on the same disc I have their whole MTV Unplugged performance...good stuff). I join you in pleading for a good new album, but there's a part of me, for self-protection more than anything else, that's given up. I think Hi-Fi was their last great one.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home