Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Archives of the Day

Two excerpts that fit the occasion...

From "Independence Day" by Ani Difranco:
We drove the car
To the top of the parking ramp
4th of July
Sat out on the hood
With a couple of warm beers
And watched the fireworks
Explode in the sky
There was an exodus of birds from the trees
'Cause they didn't know
We were only pretending
And the people all looked up and looked pleased
And the birds flew around
Like the whole world was ending
From "America" by Simon & Garfunkel:
Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat
We smoked the last one an hour ago
So I looked at the scenery, she read her magazine
And the moon rose over an open field

Kathy, I'm lost, I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all come to look for America

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I humbly submit the following (from "The Fourth of July," by Dave Alvin) to this archive, not because it's that great a song, but because, first of all, it was stuck in my head all day (as it is every Fourth of July) and second, because it also uses a cigarette as a prop. To borrow a line from Nick, now THAT's the American Spirit!

She gives me her cheek when I want her lips
And I don't have the strength to go
On the lost side of town in a dark apartment
We gave up trying so long ago

On the stairs I smoke a cigarette alone
The Mexican kids are shooting fireworks below
Hey, baby, it's the Fourth of July
Hey, baby, it's the Fourth of July

Whatever happened, I apologize
So dry your tears and baby, walk outside
It's the Fourth of July

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home